Wednesday, March 16, 2011

These Ain't Your Mama's Cloth Diapers!

Several years ago, I became intrigued with cloth diapers.  No, no, no...not the OLD white rectangles that you awkwardly wrap around a baby's legs and the big safety pins that you poke yourself with more times than you actually poke the fabric.  The NEW cloth diapers that come in dozens of adorable colors and are as simple to use as disposables!  As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I knew that I wanted to use them myself.  Most people that I tell are very supportive and excited for me to take on this innovative trend, but I have met my fair share of skeptics also.  To help provide everyone with a better understanding of modern-day cloth diapering, I have decided to answer a few of the questions that I am commonly asked and include some pictures too...

Cloth diapers...seriously?!?!
Yes, seriously!  And I couldn't be more excited about it!! 

Why did you decide to do cloth diapering?
Several reasons.  First of all, cloth diapering is great for babies and their sensitive little bits and pieces.  Most babies that wear cloth diapers experience less diaper rashes and irritations.  Also, it is so much better for the environment and minimizes the amount of trash that our household produces.  On average, babies go through about 10 diapers per day for several years until they are fully potty trained.  Just think about the huge piles of poopy diapers that I am keeping from being added to the landfills!  Now, think about the huge piles of green that I am keeping in our wallets by cloth diapering too!!  (10 diapers per day...several years...you do the math!)  Oh, and babies that wear cloth diapers generally transition to potty training much easier.  So, those several years of diapers will probably be cut even shorter!

What kind are you using?
Bum Genius 4.0 One-Size Cloth Diaper with Snap Closures
After hours and hours of research, I finally decided on this exact kind.  Among lots of other factors, I love that they adjust so easily to fit all babies from newborns to toddlers and the fact that they have snap closures.  (Velcro often gets worn out after hundreds of washes.)  I also love that they can be added to my baby registry too!

Are you always going to put Hayes in cloth diapers?
Yes, Hayes will always wear cloth diapers.  Mommy and daddy's diaper bags both have wet bags stored away, so it will be easy changing while we are on the go.  The only time we have discussed using disposables is when we are on vacation because daily laundry may not be possible.

How long will he wear them?
From the day he comes home from the hospital until he is fully potty trained and rocking the big boy underoos!

How does Cody feel about this?
At first, he was a little apprehensive.  ("Wait, you want me to do what with the poop???")  However, he really has opened up and jumped on the bandwagon with me.  He sees all of the benefits that come with cloth diapering, and he has become less squeamish about the washing.  I even overheard him making a cloth diaper sales pitch on one of his fellow daddies the other day!  So proud!!

These ain't your mama's cloth diapers!

Lots of snaps to adjust for my growing boy!
(He will be able to wear this same diaper from the time he is born until he is potty trained.)

They come in lots of cute colors to match almost every outfit.

Everything you need to start cloth diapering fits neatly in one drawer.

Can't forget the cloth wipes too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kelly.... Katie Barnes here! Good for you! We had a set of triplets in the NICU awhile back, and they told me about Bum Genius because, well obviously diapers for triplets is ridiculous!!!

Are you getting a large sink with sprayer to put in your garage? The triplets dad bought this industrial size sink like from restaurants, showed me pictures of it.. Genius!!

I am sooo going to use them when it's time!

Kudo's!!

The Ragusa's said...

I absolutely LOVED cloth diapering Dominick and actually miss it (well, he's still in cloth at night even though he's potty trained during the day)!! Girl, call me if you have any questions!!!

Novogoratz said...

We use these for our daughter too! Haven't convinced my husband to do cloth wipes yet so once we run out of the others I will probably push for it! I just read your entire blog. Your son is beautiful and I hope he continues to grow and be healthy! My daughter was born on March 10th - 25 days early! It's so cool to see them being so close in age and doing so well developmentally!