Friday, January 6, 2012

The Big Day

10:00 pm - Time for good night smooches from Mommy!  I reluctantly headed just down the hall to a room in the PICU floor's Ronald McDonald House.  Our new friend the nurse really encouraged me to take advantage of Hayes being so heavily sedated to try and get some rest for myself.  It took some convincing, but I finally agreed after realizing that it really would be just like it was at home.  (Now, if only I had the video monitor by my bedside!)  So good night, sweet baby boy!  Looking forward to what tomorrow holds...


9:00 pm - The transport team was able to insert the PICC line flawlessly.  And it actually turned out to be a great deal for our little man - he got one central line put in and got to get an IV and his arterial line taken out.  Not too shabby.  His room calmed down quite a bit after that, and we were able to get to know his night nurse a little better.  And get this - he went to my high school and was only a year ahead of me.  What a ridiculously small world!  On top of this fun coincidence, we also could not help but notice that he is super knowledgeable and a wonderful caregiver.  So thankful to have yet another amazing person on our little one's team.

8:00 pm - This whole day has gone so incredibly smooth so far...way better than I could have ever expected in my wildest dreams...but now we are facing our first little hiccup.  And honestly, I cannot even call it a hiccup.  It is more like a hic- or a -cup.  See, the IV that Hayes had in his little foot became infiltrated causing it to develop what looks like something between a bruise and a burn.  (I was so worried that I did not take any pictures before it got bandaged up...sorry!)  The doctors and nurses reassured me a million times that this is very common among little ones and nothing to be worried about.  However, they decided to go ahead and insert a PICC line instead of trying for another IV.  You may remember that Hayes had one of these in the NICU, so we are very familiar with it and know all of the benefits that come with it.  One major drawback though - we have to leave the room for about an hour so they can create a sterile environment while inserting it.  Missing him already!

5:00 pm - Dr. Tsao and Dr. Andrassy stopped by to peek in on Hayes.  They were both very pleased with how his recovery is going so far and had nothing but positive praise for our little trooper.  The drains were producing minimal fluids, the incision sight was not showing any signs of concern, and all of his stats looked just about perfect.  All thanks to those two amazing men.  Miracle workers with a gift from God.

4:30 pm - We are continuing to make ourselves comfortable here in the PICU.  (Not too comfortable though...we are hoping to move to general recovery within the next few days!)  There are no real updates in regards to Hayes.  He is under heavy sedation and paralytics, so he just continues to rest and recover peacefully.  And as much as I want to see those gorgeous blue eyes of his, I know that this is exactly what his little body needs to do!  On a lighter note, our child life specialist stopped by to bring Hayes a few goodies - a little bear, a handmade blanket from the Linus Project, and his very own Topper the Giraffe.  (Remember, we met this fun hospital mascot at our NICU reunion back in October?)  I cannot wait until Hayes wakes up and is able to see these special gifts.  We will definitely keep them forever.  Also, I finally took the opportunity to sit down and look out the window, and I was thrilled to see a beautiful view of the Houston Zoo!  One of my absolute favorite places in this big, busy city.  Just last week, I had promised Hayes that we would take a family trip there as soon as he recovered.  Boy, am I looking forward to that day!

His sweet gifts from the child life specialist. 

 Our room with a view.

McGovern Lake at Hermann Park...picture courtesy of my new telephoto zoom lens!

2:00 pm - A chaplain and child life specialist stopped by the room to meet Hayes and offer any support and help they could give.  I love that everyone at Children's Memorial Hermann is so sweet and caring.  They truly take an interest in every one of their patients, and I am so grateful to be surrounded by so many incredible people.

1:00 pm - After asking the nurses over a dozen times if he was ready for visitors, the time finally came - we got to go see our little boy.  Walking back to his room, I was prepared for lots of tubes and leads.  However, I had no idea that such a little baby could have so many.  I am sure that I will forget to mention some, but here is kind of a run down of all that he has right now - an arterial line, the drains from his abdomen to alleviate fluid build-up, several IV's both on his hands and his feet, an NG tube to aid in stomach drainage, a ventilator to help his breathing, and of course, lots of monitors and leads.  Our nurse is a doll and was wonderful about explaining everything to us and answering our endless list of questions.  She even let us have a sneak peak at his new body!

Our room in the PICU - he almost gets lost amongst all of the machines.

 My little lovie boy...

...and his new body.

11:30 am - Surgery is finally finished!  (And in record time, I might add!)  Dr. Tsao just came in to speak to us, and we could instantly tell that he was pleased by the smile on his face.  Hayes is now completely sewn shut and making his way to the PICU to begin recovery.  He has three drains coming from his abdomen to alleviate any fluid that may build-up, and we are warned that they will stay in for quite some time.  He may even have to come home with them, but it is too early to tell now.  He is also on the ventilator as his body adjusts to the added pressure that is now being placed on his lungs.  However, he is not in any type of respiratory distress and keeping him intubated is more of just a precautionary measure.  Obviously, he will have to keep the epidural in and remain heavily sedated until they are able to extubate him...hopefully tomorrow.  I have already asked if I can see him.  But, they said I have to wait until he gets settled.  Oh, the waiting...

10:45 am - Dr. Andrassy just came out to talk to us himself.  The omphalocele repair is complete...and he said that everything went perfectly!  Praise, God!  All of the organs were able to be placed back inside of his body, the muscles were successfully separated and sewn closed, the biological mesh patch is in place, and the skin is now being sutured shut.  He said that Hayes's stomach was beautiful and flat.  In fact, he even joked that he would like to perform this component separation technique on himself so that he could look as good as Hayes.  (That gave us all a good giggle!)  While doing the omphalocele repair, they also discovered that Hayes had bilateral inguinal hernias rather than the single one like we had thought.  Not a problem though.  They were both repaired internally, and that went wonderfully as well.  Dr. Tsao is still in the OR finishing things up and performing the circumcision.  Our little guy really is getting a full make-over from the neck down.  So glad his adorable little face is not getting any changes...I cannot wait to see it!

10:05 am - Just got another update from the OR.  Things are continuing to go really well.  His omphalocele is completely opened up...and from what it sounds like, all of the organs that were once inside the O are now completely taken out.  Evidently, his appendix had also made it's way inside of his O, so the surgeon decided to go ahead and do an appendectomy as well.  (This will ensure that he does not ever get appendicitis and need emergency surgery with his crazy anatomy.)  The biological mesh has been sewn to one side of his abdomen, and now they are going to begin placing his organs inside.

9:15 am - Got a call from the OR right as I was about to leave and go pump. (Haven't done that in awhile - good thing it's like riding a bike and not easily forgotten...it's just not as fun!) Epidural had been placed and surgery had just begun. So far, so good.

7:45 am - The anesthesiologists came in to discuss their portion of the procedure.  Hayes is going to begin with getting gas to help him fall asleep, an arterial line and IV's will then be placed into his arms, and lastly, he will be given an epidural.  They told us to give him lots of kisses and tell him that we love him.  Of course, we did as we were told.  My tears started flowing, but I did better than I could have ever expected as he was wheeled away in his mini-hospital bed.

7:30 am - Dr. Andrassy and Dr. Tsao took turns coming in to once again explain the procedure and answer any questions we may have about the surgery.  We found out that Children's Memorial Hermann is the first hospital to begin doing the component separation technique to repair giant omphaloceles...and Hayes is only about the 9th kiddo to have it done.  (All of which have been super successful, by he way.)  Wow, we are making history.

7:00 am - Taken back to pre-op.  Hayes had to change into a pink salmon colored hospital gown that was entirely too big for his little bitty body.  At first, he was not too sure what to think of the room and the outfit change and the constant stream of nurses and medical staff.  But then, he relaxed a bit and began playing with his hospital anklets and entertaining everyone with games of peek-a-boo in his over-sized gown.  Minutes before surgery and still being silly.  Love that, kid!

Getting acclimated to this new place.

Finally comfortable and playing peek-a-boo..."Where's Hayes?"

"Peek-a-boo!"

6:00 am - Arrive at the hospital and check-in.  Wait.  Take a walk with Daddy.  Wait.  Media department arrives to begin filming.  (Haven't mentioned them lately, but they are still chronicling our journey.  Lots of good videos, pictures, and interviews since the last post.  Can't wait to see the final product!  Oh, back to our day...)  Wait.  Too many smooches from Mommy.  Wait.  Register.  Wait.


5:15 am - Headed to the hospital.  Hayes is still a little bitter about his early morning wake-up call.


4:45 am - After getting ourselves ready, we woke up Hayes and immediately gave him a glycerin suppository to help clear his digestive system.  Not the ideal time or method of waking up, but it was the doctor's orders.  Sorry, sweet boy!

4 comments:

Shauna Marques said...

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. Looks like our prayers are helping our little man through everything. Will keeping praying and sending my love.

Andrea said...

Yay!! I'm happy that things have gone so well! And look at his flat little tummy - amazing!!

CaroM said...

I just had time to finally read your updates on the surgery and I am so happy to see that everything went so great!. I can't even imagine how you are holding so strong and keeping on the good attitude during the whole day. I don't know if I will be half as strong when Tobias has his surgery. I'll continue to pray for Hayes and all your family!. Here is for an awesome recovery!!

Brooke said...

Wonderful news!!! And look at that flat belly! He's gonna have a six pack to make Harper swoon in no time. Continued prayers through recovery and hoping you all get some rest. Lots of hugs from San Antonio - way to go Hayes!!!