2:00 pm - Okay, so I will make this update short and sweet (or at least try to). After a breathing treatment and PICU rounds this morning, it was decided that Hayes could be extubated! Of course, hearing this news gave us mixed emotions. We were so ready to see our baby boy free of some of those yucky tubes...but we were also scared that he was not quite ready after hearing that his lung had collapsed just a few short hours ago. The doctors and nurses reassured us that he was, then left us in anticipation as they tended to another patient. Right around lunch time (actually right in the middle of us taking turns for lunch!), the doctors decided to go ahead and pull the tubes! Hayes was immediately given a breathing treatment through CPAP and then switched over to the nasal cannula for precaution. Although he still sounds a little junky, everyone is very pleased with his stats and progress. Isn't it amazing how much can change from one update to the next? Guess that's just life on the ICU rollercoaster!
A sweet mommy and baby moment right before extubation.
So happy to be rid of those tubes!
8:30 am - This morning I realized that this is the longest I have gone without holding my baby boy. Even when he was newly born and in the NICU, I was able to hold him after just three days. Now, today marks four. My arms feel so empty, and I long for the moment that he will be placed in my arms yet again. And unfortunately, it looks like that moment will not come any time soon. Over night, he was gradually weaned off the ventilator and onto the CPAP setting. He was doing great, and his lab work consistently looked good. We were finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But just as we were nearing extubation, an x-ray was taken of his lungs...and we were all surprised to see that his left lung was starting to collapse again. The light that we had just seen quickly turned to dark. We feel like we are back to square one. Back to the ventilator setting and aggressive breathing treatments...and back to my longing heart and empty arms.

18 comments:
I saw your story on ABC News this morning. You are in our thoughts. If you need any assistance please let us know.
You many visit our website at www.birthdefects.org - Birth Defect Research for Children provides information and support, such as parent matching, should you need it.
I wish you all the best.
Marni
Outreach coordinator
Birth Defect Research for Children
www.birthdefects.org
www.facebook.com/bdrcfl
I saw your story on ABC News this morning as well. Baby Hayes will be in my thoughts and prayers!! Hoping for a full speedy recovery for him and that you are able to hold your baby boy very soon!
Many prayers for you and your little one. He looks like a sweet baby! God bless!
Sending up prayers for your whole family!
Love,
Mary, Morgan and Shane
Step by step....My heart is with you. Sending more love and support. You are amazing.
Baby Hayes is a beautiful baby. He is blessed to have been born into your loving and caring family. Prayers to each of you for continued strength and lasting health.
26 1/2 years ago, my daughter was born with an omphalocele. She is now a beautiful young woman, who will be marrying her best friend this summer. Reading your blog brought back many memories of her birth and the surgeries she endured. Know that it won't be long before Hayes becomes a beautiful young man and you will wonder where the time went. I wish all of you the best.
I am thinking of you and hoping I hear soon that his lung reinflates! Please let me know if you need anything! Deborah
I have a group of friends praying for Hayes and your sweet little family. God bless you all.
A friend of mine posted your story from ABC News, as she also has a baby with an omphalocele. I spent the afternoon reading through your entire blog. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Prayers go out to your family, and sweet baby Hayes!
Hello, I saw you story on the news. My baby girl was born a day before your baby boy. she was born with Gastroschisis, and now suffering with short bowel syndrome. I will be praying for your baby.
I think I see a little smile.....great news!
yay for no more tubes!!!! everyone is happier, i am sure! praying his lung continues to corporate!!!
I'm loving the national attention Hayes' story is getting! All the more prayers going up for y'all! You're doing such a great job updating your blog.. I'm so incredibly proud of you, Kelly!
SO happy you were able to hold him today. I know he was too! Don't worry.. he'll come back around to nursing after things settle down more.
LOVE & Hugs!
Becki
Good luck to you and your family. I was born with an omphalocele in 1950 and am still going strong.
Susan
I just found your story on abcnews.com Sending good thoughts and prayers for Hayes to have a good recovery! God Bless your family!
Hayes looks so great! And I know you loved getting to hold him. It's so hard to wait- It just fills my heart to see him. :-)
Praying for precious Hayes to have a full recovery and a long, happy, healthy life. Also, praying for you and Cody as you both continue to navigate this journey with your little man. Stay strong, stay faithful, and always stay turned towards each other in the toughest of times. It's easier to hold on to each other that way! Oh, one more Momma to Momma thing, don't get frustrated with the nursing and hang in there. Hayes will come around, just be patient and keep nuzzling him. Love endures all.
Post a Comment