Friday, July 6, 2012

Six Months Post-Op

Wow!  It has been quite some time since I have posted anything omphalocele related, and although we are trying to just be relatively normal these days, Hayes's omphalocele is still...and will always be...a huge part of our lives.  After all, it has completely transformed who we are as a family and has altered our entire perspective on life.  That being said, today marks exactly six months since we said buh-bye to the big O.  Can you believe it?  Six whole months...that's half of a year!

Since that day, Hayes has recovered and recuperated better than we could have ever dreamed.  He has caught up (or even surpassed!) all of his little buddies when it comes to meeting those critical milestones.  He is walking all over the place, saying all kinds of new words, and even getting into a little bit of trouble.  This may be too much information for some of you folks, but even his insides are working better than ever, and he no longer suffers from the motility issues that he once did.  Hooray for poop!  The only lingering issue that we still face is his incredibly slow weight gain.  He is significantly smaller than all of his friends, and he is not even close to being on the growth chart yet.  This is probably the most common factor among little ones who are born with an omphalocele, so I know that we are not alone...but it is still awfully frustrating.  After all, this kid gets heavy whipping cream added to his whole milk as well as butter and oil put on EVERYTHING.  I feel like I gain a pound each time I just prepare a meal for him!!  Oh well.  The doctors assure me that he is growing and thriving just fine, and that he will slowly catch up as he continues to get older.  I just hope that time is sooner than later!

Of course, I have to leave you with just a few pictures of his AMAZING transformation!  It is so hard to believe that just six months ago his abdomen looked like this...


And now his sweet little tummy looks like this...


Pretty remarkable, huh?  The only problem with this picture is that Hayes was NOT very thrilled about his mini photoshoot this morning.

Here he is pouting...

 ...and then stealing my attention getter and playing with it himself!

5 comments:

D4C6E6 said...

My parents had the same problem w/ me as an "O" baby. When I was 2 yrs old our doc even told her to give me a thimbleful of sweet wine to try to stimulate my appetite (this was 1952 and what some docs would recommend). For breakfast I would sometimes get a "healthy" milkshake (mom would add a raw egg before she put it in the blender). I grew to be tall but my weight was always a bit behind. It finally caught up in my 30's, and now, in my 60's, it's REALLY caught up!

Hayes will eventually get there. Good luck.

Susan

Kristina Potanos said...

I love all your posts and watching sweet Hayes grow and thrive...but I REALLY loved this one. Some days I look at Max's O and think his belly will look like that forever. I also obsess over his weight/height and absence from the growth charts. It is so nice to be reminded that he'll have a flat tummy one day!Thanks for sharing and happy 6 month O-nniversary!

Dolores said...

Wow That Is So Wonderful The Dr. Did A Fantastic Job.Lots Of Love To You And Your Family.
Love Always,Dolores
Marentes_dolores90@yahoo.com

Dolores said...

Marentes_dolores@yahoo.com

alemom said...

He looks incredible, I am really happy for you and your family.
I wish you the best and please keep us posted.
:)