Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sound Machine

When it comes to most areas of development, Hayes is doing pretty darn well.  His fine motor skills are above and beyond any toddler I know.  His gross motor skills are improving by the day.  His social skills are right on par.  And I don't want to brag...but his cognitive skills are so high that it scares me sometimes.  (And yes, you better believe I have done all kinds of early developmental inventories on him just to be sure!)  But lately, I have been a little bit concerned about his expressive language skills.  I see lots of little ones his age walking around copying every word they hear and even saying two or three word utterances on a regular basis.  But not my little guy.  He seems to be more of the quiet observer type...especially when we leave the comforts of our home.  His teachers say that he rarely utters a word at school, and I have noticed that he is especially silent when we are out in public.  (Well, unless you count his melt downs or whining for things he can't have, but that's a whole other story!!)  However, when we get home and it is just the three of us...he will not stop with the talking!  He makes all kinds of letter sounds and animal sounds.  He uses lots of two word utterances, with his favorites being "oh, cool!" and "what's that?"  And he babbles and jabbers about everything he sees.  It is so strange.  But just to prove to the world that he really can talk...I decided to catch a video of him playing in his room last night and talking away.  The only problem is that I had a hard time finding MY words - all of the animals he knows escaped me, and I was a coughing mess.  At least one of us is getting it right though!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No worries! Your boy is beautiful and he will grow into his own. Our 15 year old was a loud baby at home but quiet outside, until elementary school. Intelligent but quiet. He observed and took everything in. Processed it. Our 6 year old was similar however he is MORE social than our first boy was. Every baby is different and you just need to trust God is in control.