Friday, March 4, 2011

Lights, Camera, Action!

A few weeks ago, the fetal center coordinator contacted me to ask a very big (and very exciting) question - Would we be willing to have our story documented by the media department?  She went on to explain that Children's Memorial-Hermann has been looking for a family to chronicle through late pregnancy, birth, and beyond...and she thought that our family and our story would be perfect!  I was flattered that she thought of us for this amazing opportunity, but I was also thrilled at having the chance to share our experience with so many people.  Since given our diagnosis, I have read dozens of articles and watched every video I could find on omphaloceles.  My life has been so touched by these inspiring stories, and I have been determined to make Hayes's story an inspiration for others as well.

It took lots of phone calls and forms to plan our first appearance, but it was decided that the filming would begin at my doctor's appointment yesterday.  I woke up bright and early to make sure that my hair was perfectly straightened and Hayes looked nice and round in my maternity clothes.  Then, I was off to the medical center.  In the lobby, I met with public relations representatives from both Memorial-Hermann and UT Health Science Center as well as a videographer.  Each of them were so warm and caring, and I knew that I would be comfortable opening up and letting them in on such a personal experience.  There was little time to chat before the cameras started rolling though!  First on the agenda was an on-camera interview that gave me the opportunity to talk a little bit about what we have been through so far and how much further we have to go.  Then, the camera followed me as I went through all of the usual routines: ultrasound, non-stress test, even walks through the hall.  Throughout the morning, there were times that I felt a little nervous and got a bit tongue-tied, but Hayes had no problem showing off for the cameras...

Hayes in 3-D
(Excuse my placenta covering half his face!)

Happy Boy

Cody's Mini-Me

...and he's out!

Starting this new experience has been so much fun and filled with me with a new sense of excitement, and I cannot wait for our next big appearance.  So, stay tuned for more...

1 comment:

LMC said...

So wonderful to see you today! You have a gift for writing and this blog is a wonderful insight into this amazing pregnancy. I'll be following your soon-to-be family with lots of love and support.
love, Lisa