"Mom, does this helmet make me look fat?"
Still the cutest and sweetest baby in the whole wide world!
You are probably wondering how we are acclimating to this new accessory in our life. Well...Hayes is handling it with a calm and confident attitude, of course. He amazes me with the strength and braveness he exudes! He wears his helmet with pride, and he gives a big grin when you compliment him on it. I, on the other hand, have not been handling it so well. I cried like a baby when the orthotist first put it on him, and it is taking everything I have to put on a happy face for my little guy. He is down for a nap right now, and I have tears streaming down my face as I look at this awkward white helmet sitting on my coffee table. My tears are for Hayes - it breaks my heart that he now has yet another thing to set him apart from "normal" babies. And my tears are also for me - I am so fearful of the stares that we will get next time we are out running errands, and I am terrified that others will think that I am a neglectful mother who let her baby end up in this awful device. If only they knew all that we had been through.
I guess the moral of this long, rambling post is not just to let you know that Hayes has finally gotten his helmet. It is also to remind you to open your heart and always show compassion for others. You never know where their journey began or where your journey may one day take you. (By the way, those words of wisdom are all mine. Look out, Aristotle!)

1 comment:
Ahhh I love this boy! Kelly, he looks ADORABLE as ever.. he has such a sweet face! So glad to hear he's adjusting to it so easily!
Stay strong mama- 3 months is not long at all then this will be just something you show him pictures of later. You are such a good mommy!
Post a Comment