Tuesday, November 8, 2011

B.H.

As I was tidying up the house today, I kept looking around and thinking about how much things have changed since B.H. (aka Before Hayes).  See, I used to keep my house meticulously spotless.  Not a day went by without some kind of cleaning involved, and clutter was my number one arch nemesis.  Nowadays, cleaning and decluttering have kind of taken a back seat though.  (Don't get me wrong - I still run a tight ship...I've just loosened the sails a little bit.)  The counters no longer get wiped on an hourly basis and baby toys can be found in just about every room of the house.  So, I decided to grab my trusty camera and snap a few pictures of our new concept of "tidy"...

Babies'R'Us?  Nope, just our living room.

B.H. - Always neat and clean.  Everything had it's place, and there was a place for everything.

Now - As if the ginormous Jumperoo wasn't enough, I decided to link toys on it to give Hayes even more to play with while jumping away.  Oh, and that big green bucket on the floor?  Yeah, we already had to upgrade from the previous toy basket, and I am thinking it is almost time to upgrade again.  Maybe to a refrigerator box??  Can't miss the Bumbo on the floor next to the activity gym too...except usually it is on the kitchen counter next to me while I am cooking or putting away dishes (with extreme adult supervision, of course).  Also, note the Boppy on the couch.  That is the designated nursing station.  I think we will need new cushions on that loveseat after all is said and done.

 Guest Bathroom Hayes's Bathroom

B.H. - Always ready for a guest - aromatherapy soaps, spotlessly clean tub, and fresh towels for all.

Now - Move over Tucky Ducky, Hayes now has his very own bath seat - which is (semi) permanently fixed to the bathtub floor.  And after nearly losing Hayes in a sea of bath toys, we decided to limit his usage to foam letters and numbers, a few squirt toys, and one bath book.  Oh, and the rubber ducky...but that is more for adult use since it boldly reads "HOT" when the water is even slightly warm.  I suppose our guests can just hose off in the backyard now.

 Hallway / Diaper Station

B.H. - Clear of clutter with plenty of space to walk between rooms.

Now - The drying rack has taken up permanent residence in this hallway.  Which, I might add, is the perfect location because it is just outside the laundry room and on my way to Hayes's room.  Hang up the diapers from out of the wash in the morning and pick one up on the way to change a stink bomb in the afternoon.  Awesome!  What's that you ask - what about the cross?  Well, I like to think that it is just God watching down on Hayes and his diapers to ensure proper digestion and no complications.  (Seriously!!  Digestion is a big deal for O babies and something we battle with almost constantly.)

 Mommy Mobile

B.H. - Looked as if it was straight off the lot.  Perfect both inside and out.

Now - The carrier stays inside the vehicle at all times since it is just ridiculously too heavy to lug around with my little chunker in it.  And on either side of the carrier you can find an array of car toys and my favorite brown pillow (which serves as my nursing station on the go).  Oh, and forget about trunk space.  On any given day, you can find a stroller, Bjorn, and shopping cart cover taking up nearly every square inch of the back.  So much for groceries or shopping bags!

I bet you are wondering why in the world I decided to write such a random post.  Well, something inside of me felt compelled to capture these images.  I know that one day I will miss the obnoxious Jumperoo in front of the fireplace and the rubber ducky that has made it's home in the bathtub.  Our house will be back to spotless and boring...but the pictures taken and the memories made will last forever.  Also, seeing all of these precious baby items scattered around our home has reminded me just how grateful we are to have friends and family who showered us with goodies all throughout my pregnancy and continue to spoil Hayes with gifts "just because."  Every, single item we have been given is treasured and put to good use, and we are forever grateful for all of our new clutter...and the sweet little baby boy who comes along with it!

1 comment:

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Oh, girl! Just wait until he starts really moving about & the full on baby-proofing begins. Good bye to everything on your tables, your lovely pumpkins and vases, etc! But I feel the same as you - as much as I miss my "before" house (which btw, was never super, super clean like yours!), I wouldn't take it back for a second. A messy living room right now means I have 2 kids that happily play and pass toys back and forth and are loving life. When Quinn was in the hospital for her surgeries, the toys mostly stayed in the baskets and the house was way too neat. It would make me sad to come home and see too tidy of a living room because it means someone was missing. But now, it's all back to normal and I can't walk through a room without having to bring a toy back to it's home :)

Sorry for the long comment - I do hope we can meet sometime. I think we would understand a lot about these special journeys we have both been on!