Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Helmet Head

Tomorrow will mark five weeks since Hayes began sporting his cool new helmet, and we can already tell it is making an amazing difference to our little guy's noggin!  Instead of writing some long-winded rambling post (which I must confess, I already started to do before I realized what I was doing and deleted the whole thing), I decided to let a comparison picture and today's scan report do the talking...


Summary Report

If you are anything like I was back when this whole ordeal got started, then this report probably makes absolutey no sense to you.  So, here are the five key points broken down in layman's terms...

1.  Diagram - Check out that awesome growth in the left posterior quadrant...buh-bye flat spot!

2.  Oblique Diagonal Difference - Hayes started with a 15.5 mm difference between the two diagonal measurements seen in the diagram, which put him in the moderate range for plagiocephaly.  He is now at an 11.9 mm difference.  Anything less than a 6 mm difference is considered normal.  That means only 6 more millimeters to go!

3.  Anterior Symmetry Ratio - This is the only area of his sweet little head that did not show improvement.  Where as the ratio should be going up (as close to .100 as possible), his ratio actually went down.  Our orthotist made some adjustments to his helmet, and we should be good to go though.

4.  Posterior Symmetry Ratio - Up .028 which shows lots of great improvement.  We are working to get as close to perfectly symmetrical (.100) as possible though.

5.  Overall Symmetry Ratio - This number changed only slightly which makes sense considering the anterior ratio went down and the posterior ratio went up.  No worries...I am confident that this will be upwards of .900 by his next head scan at the end of December!  Just you wait!! 

Overall, it was great news...but our day was made even better when we got to meet up afterwards with Lindsey, one of my closest and dearest friends since elementary school.  I know I have mentioned her in my blog before, but I do not talk nearly enough about her.  See, this girl is truly unbelievable.  A miracle from God.  She has been fighting stage four cancer for nearly two years now, but you would never know it if you saw her.  She is radiantly beautiful and has this wonderful aura about her that I can never seem to get enough of.  However, she has been in a lot of pain lately and spent most of last week in the hospital.  So, I am asking that all of you lift her up in prayer and positive thought today and always.  She is a true fighter, in every sense of the word...but even the strongest need a little extra love sometimes.  Love you, Linds!

No comments: