This Thanksgiving was kind of a unique one. Cody and I typically have a very well established system of splitting the holidays among our two families. One year we will spend Thanksgiving with his side of the family and Christmas with mine, then the following year will be the vice-versa. Very predictable. Very fair. Well, this year presented a bit of a challenge. It was supposed to be Thanksgiving with Cody's side of the family, but they were heading many miles out west to a small hunting cabin in the middle of nowhere...which was not going to be very conducive to a small baby...or a slightly high-maintenance mama. So, we made the difficult decision to spend this special holiday apart - Hayes and I were going to be dropped off at my parent's house, and Cody was going to continue driving west to the hunting cabin.
At first I was a little upset that Cody would not be there to see Hayes eat his first bite of pumpkin pie or to say a blessing with me at the dinner table, but all of those emotions quickly subsided as I stepped into my parent's home. It felt so good to be surrounded by my mom, dad, and grandma, and I was once again reminded just how much I have to be thankful for. Our Thanksgiving feast was perfectly prepared, and all of our days were the ideal combination of lazing around the house and getting out to do some fun activities. We went on walks down the old gravel roads, took over the living room with a pile of toys, and even ventured into the city to go to a farmer's market. It was the perfect first Thanksgiving for Hayes...and a pretty good twenty-ninth Thanksgiving for me too!
No comments:
Post a Comment