Monday, December 5, 2011

Belated Appointment Update

Exactly one week ago, we drove down to the medical center for what was unkowingly our biggest and most significant pediatric surgeon's appointment.  (If it was such a big deal, then I bet you are wondering why it took me so long to blog about it.  Well, just keep reading and you will find out...)  At all of our past appointments, we were told that everything looked great and that we needed to wait for Hayes to get bigger and stronger before going ahead with surgery.  So, walking into this appointment we were prepared to hear pretty much the same thing yet again.  Boy, were we wrong!  Dr. Tsao nearly knocked our socks off by saying that he was ready to move forward with the surgery.  Quickly.  As in the next week or two.  The sense of urgency stems from a few factors - First, Hayes is finally at an age that he is big enough to undergo such a major procedure.  That being said, he is also not too ambulatory yet which will hopefully make recovery a little easier.  Most importantly though, Hayes's omphalocele continues to get larger and larger.  If we wait much longer - the risk of compromising the lungs and other organs will just be too great.

Of course, this sent me into total and complete freak out mode as soon as I got back home - making phone calls, cancelling appointments, cleaning the house, paying all of the bills.  Doing anything and everything I could to prepare for the big day...and mostly, to take my mind off of what was to come.  Just as I was feeling somewhat prepared to begin packing for the hospital, I received an e-mail from Dr. Tsao.  The soonest that everyone involved was available for surgery was January 6th.  (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Dr. Tsao is calling in the troops for this procedure.  Dr. Andrassy is going to be joining him in the operating room.  He is just the CHAIRMAN OF SURGERY...no big deal!)  Just as I was catching my breath and sitting down to update the blog, I remembered all of the phone calls I had made and appointments I had cancelled.  This put me right back into total and complete freak out mode - remaking phone calls, rescheduling appointments, cleaning the house (it had gotten dirty again), and doing a little online Christmas shopping (okay, that one was not exactly due to the freak out mode).  And, here we are...a week later and back in normal mode.

Okay, I realize that was a whole lot of rambling for just three key points:
1.  Hayes's surgery is scheduled for January 6th.
2.  We have a lot to do to prepare for the big day.
3.  I am a nervous wreck and emotional basketcase right now.  (And I am expecting it to only get worse..)

No comments: