Monday, March 5, 2012

Back to School - Take Two

So, last week was pretty much a total flop when it came to Hayes and I heading off to school...but we were bound and determined to ace it this week!  We started off bright and early this morning with a quick change of clothes, a little bit of snuggling, and a few laughs before running out the door.  (The night before I meticulously packed everything so that I could cherish every morning minute with my little guy before we had to be apart.  So glad I did!)  And once we got to Hayes's school, the drop-off was surprisingly undramatic.  He immediately got to work playing with all of the toys as I filled his teacher in on everything I had packed.  I smothered him with kisses.  Shed a few tears.  Then, I was on my way to my own school.  (Much better than the hysterical screaming I had pictured from both of us when I had been envisioning this day!)  Thankfully, my class this year keeps me on my toes most of the time...but I did manage to sneak a few peeks at my sweet boy through the school's online program that runs constant video streaming of his classroom all day.  It was so neat to watch him eat a snack or play with his friends, and in a weird way - it made me feel like I was almost there with him.  Of course, I buzzed out of the parking lot just as soon as the clock struck quitting time, and I shed even more tears as I saw his sweet face waiting for me.  Oh, how I missed that beautiful face!  I was happy to hear that his teachers had nothing but good reports to give me, but I know deep down it was hard for us both.  It will take some time for us to get used to this new routine and our new way of life, and we will probably just be getting the hang of it about the time that summer rolls around...

 Hayes's backpack and lunch ready to go...

 ...and a sweet treat for his teachers too...

...all for his first day of school!


1 comment:

bugs and bananas said...

Hang in there! I'm thinking about you!