Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lindsey

I have been at a loss for words recently.  Devastated.  Simply heartbroken.  Lindsey, my closest and dearest friend, passed away on April 11th after fighting like hell against cervical cancer for just over two years.  And although I am still unable to find the exact words to say just how I feel, I knew that I needed to share this sad news with all of you.  After all, I have talked about Lindsey several times throughout my blog, and I know that all of you have kept her in your thoughts and prayers all along the way.  So, instead of trying to sort through my thoughts and emotions in this post, I am simply going to leave you with the eulogy that I had the honor of reading at her memorial service this past weekend.  I think it captures my sweet friend...and our everlasting friendship...perfectly.

Lindsey Erin Apostolo
February 10, 1983 - April 11, 2012 
I will never forget the day that I met Lindsey Apostolo.  It was fifth grade.  I was making my daily rounds cruising through he neighborhood when I noticed that the new girl from school lived just one street away.  Typically, I would have waved and kept going by, but something inside told me to stop and introduce myself.  And I am so glad that I did.  Because little did I know, that day...that moment...would forever change my life.  You see, I met my best friend that day, and we formed an instant bond that would stand the test of time.  We have been by each other's side through it all, and I want to give you just a little glimpse into the part of Lindsey's life that I know and that I love...
In elementary school, Lindsey's parents forced her to wear a bicycle helmet.  Now, we all knew that Leon and Theresa made her wear it because they loved her deeply and wanted her to be safe, but Lindsey was so incredibly embarrassed by it.  She would leave my house with the helmet dangling from her handlebars, then stop moments before she turned on her street to fasten it under her chin and pretend like she had been wearing it the entire time.  Well, at least until one particular day.  Leon came driving down the street before Lindsey had gotten to her typical stopping point, so she quickly jumped off her bike and started tinkering with the chain in a feeble attempt to trick Leon into thinking that her bike was broken and that is why her helmet was not on her head.  That was nearly twenty years ago, and I can't exactly remember how the rest of the story played out.  But I do know that Lindsey reluctantly wore her helmet at all times from that day on.
Shortly after that, we went off to junior high together.  And boy, did we think we were cool!  Staying up late and talking on the phone pretty much became our focus, and almost every weekend we would have a slumber party with our closest friends to feed these new found obsessions.  We would call all of the cutest boys from school...and when it got too late to call them, we would start calling the local radio stations to request songs and try to get on the air.  I guess because they were the only other lunatics up in the  middle of the night looking for people to talk to.  I could go on and on about those silly slumber parties, but let's just say that we saw the sun rise more than once and that the DJ's at 104 KRBE knew Kelly and Lindsey by name!
 I guess all of that staying up late was just practice for what came next...high school!  Oh, we had so much fun there!  And our too cool attitudes?  Well, those just got stronger.  Of course, I can't tell you all of Lindsey's high school secrets, but I will tell you about one particular night that our parents probably wish they could forget.  We had been out with some friends one night, and I guess we thought our curfew came a little too quickly.  So, we decided to invite some friends back to Lindsey's house...without Leon and Theresa knowing.  Prior to this night, Lindsey and I had been plotting and experimenting ways to disarm their alarm system, and we thought we had come up with the perfect plan to pull this stunt off.  We removed the sensor on the window and somehow stuck it to the sensor that was mounted on the wall in hopes that this would keep the alarm from going off when we opened the window.  And it worked...at first.  But right when our friends were about to climb through the window that trusty sensor fell off and the whole house filled with a screaming alarm.  Lindsey and I quickly shut the window, climbed into bed fully dressed, and pretended to be asleep.  But we didn't have anybody fooled.  Leon and Theresa were livid.  And so were my parents after receiving that late night phone call too.
Luckily, college was just around the corner.  And if you're a Texas State Bobcat like me and Lindsey, then you know - what happens in San Marcos...stays in San Marcos.  Well, unless you are standing in front of hundreds of people talking about your amazing best friend and want to share a story about how unbelievably generous she was.  See, the apartment complex we lived in decided to have a contest, and the big winner would be awarded six months of free rent.  I'm not sure what all this contest entailed...or if it was just a test of fate...either way, Lindsey won.  And since her parents were actually the ones footing the bill for the rent, she immediately called them up to tell them the good news.  (I probably would have kept it a secret and pocketed the money they sent me each month to cover rent, but we all know Lindsey is a much better person that I!)  Of course, Leon and Theresa were ecstatic, and together the three of them decided a celebration was in order.  So, like any good college girl would do - Lindsey ran up to The Yellow Store, bought a keg, and invited half of Texas State to our place.  It was epic.  Just like Lindsey herself.
After graduation, the fun times continued...but in their own way.  Movie nights and Sunday brunches gradually began to replace the all nighters as we grew up and found our place in this big, crazy world.  Don't get me wrong - we still had lots of fun nights out, and we always lived life to its fullest...but things began to change and our friendship grew even deeper as a result.  Lindsey was there by my side as I said "I do," and she was one of the first ones to congratulate me on the birth of my sweet baby boy.  She was there with me through it all.
Lindsey and I shared all of these memories together and oh-so many more, but I have to say that the most special day we spent together was also one of her final days here on earth.  I will never forget how much pain she was in and how much she was suffering, but more importantly - I will never forget how beautiful she looked despite it all.  We spent almost the whole day together.  Talking.  Laughing.  Crying.  I was able to tell her everything I was feeling inside, and she listened to me like only a best friend could.  I asked her if she would watch over me and my family.  And she promised that she would.  She told me that she would give me signs to let me know that she was there.  And you know what?  I feel her today.  I know that she is looking down on all of us in our bright colors and funky hats with a big angel smile on her face, and I am sure that she is in awe of the outpouring of love and support being given to her and her family on this day.  Looking around this room, it is easy to see the lasting impact that Lindsey has had on this earth.  She has taught us how to love...and how to live.  She has touched each and every one of us, as well as countless others.  Some of which she never even met.  She has done something incredible - she has changed lives.  I know...because she has changed mine.
I love you, Linds! 
 
Lindsey and Hayes
Summer 2011

No comments: