To say that we are proud of Hayes and all that he has overcome is a complete understatement. We are amazed...we are ecstatic...we are honored to be his parents. He is the strongest and bravest little boy that we have ever met, and he has endured more in his sweet little life than most people ever will. Too often, we get caught up in our new normal and lose sight of just where all we have been. But I promise you one thing - we never, ever forget. Our initial diagnosis at only twelve weeks gestation. Our high-risk pregnancy and constant worries throughout. Our dramatic, yet incredible, birth story. Our days and nights spent in the most critical pod of the level III NICU. Our hour-long nightly ritual of sponge bathing our tiny baby and then covering his entire mid-section in ointments and dressings. Our constant doctors appointments and therapies. Our return to the hospital for his closure surgery and more days and nights spent sleepless in the PICU. Our adjustment to life at home with supplemental oxygen. The comments and the stares from strangers out in public. The heartache and the tears and the prayers to our Lord. The entire experience and everything it entailed. It was a challenge and one that has tested us to our limits. But one thing has always managed to shine above it all and that is the joy that Hayes has brought us from the moment that we found out we were expecting. He is our beautiful boy, our missing piece, our sunshine when skies are grey. I have said it before, and I will say it again and again - If I could go back and rewrite our story, I would not change one single thing. Because if I did, then Hayes would not be the miracle that he is today...and I would not even be a faction of me.
We love you more than words could ever say, Hayes Robert Davis! Happy O-nniversary!!
3 Days Old
1 Month Old
4 Months Old
9 Months Old
2 Days Post-Op
1 Month Post-Op
Today - 1 Year Post-Op

1 comment:
I was researching omphalacele and found your story and blog. You see in October 1959 I was born with this same birth defect. Needless to say there was not much research at that time on how to treat. I was rushed to University Hospital in Birmingham, AL. The doctors pulled skin over my o and explained to my young young parents ( dad-19, mom-17) to take me home and love me. If I survived, bring me back in a year and a surgery would be performed to place my intestines in my stomach cavity. That was successful
At the age of 8 (1967) I started having digestive issues and another surgery was needed due to adhesions and blockage of my small intestine.
I remember not being able to eat but 1 teaspoon of jello per hr and i could choose a teaspoon of coke or tea each hr. Very hard for an 8 year old at Thanksgiving. LOL.
I had no other issues until around 18, but I'd go to the ER and get some pain meds and occasionally a stomach pump to remove whatever was not processing thru.
As I matured these events would occur maybe 1x a year until I was in my late 40's.
At this time my monthly flow was horrific and I visited a gynecologist again in Birmingham. He immediately informed me I need a hysterectomy and just as immediately I became hysterical. All I could envision was everything coming out of me due to scar tissue.
The gynecologist had me consult with another surgeon. Together they performed a 5.5 hr surgery- removing, repairing, and replacing. I never knew I was in pain because it was all I knew. During some of those 1x year ER visits my gall bladder had stopiped working, but no one noticed. They just assumed it was the other issue.
I am 57 years old and the surgeons said I should be good for another 30 years.
I am so pleased with the progress of your son.He is blessed to have you and your husband as parents.
I thank the Lord for allowing me to live this wonderful life and know that I am blessed.
Thank you for sharing your journey.
Post a Comment