Okay, okay...I realize that I have not been the best of bloggers since coming home from the hospital. I apologize. I was hoping that once we got settled in at home and caught up on our rest, I would have plenty of time to take cute little pictures from our day and update regularly on his wonderful progress. But, I was wrong. The transition from hospital to home has been a tough one. Not because Hayes is still recovering from his surgery, and not even because he is still on supplemental oxygen. We are going through something that is all new to us and that we were not in the least bit prepared for - night terrors. After doing lots of research, I learned that these recurrent episodes of intense panic and crying can occur after a child has endured a stressful life event, been deprived of sleep, or undergone surgery requiring anesthesia. And as you well know, Hayes fits in all three of these categories.
Each night, we go through our typical bedtime rituals before putting Hayes to sleep in his crib. He always falls asleep quickly and easily...but within an hour or two, he wakes up abruptly screaming and trembling. I try to console him. Try to wake him up fully. Try to tell him that I am there and that he is okay. Nothing works. It is absolutely heart-wrenching, and I feel totally and completely helpless during that time. Eventually, he falls back to sleep though. I return to bed to try and get some sleep too. However, after another hour or two...the screaming begins again. This continues all throughout the night, over and over again. It is horrible. I have continued to read and research everything I can on the subject, and I am trying a new technique tonight though. In just a few minutes, I am going to try to wake him before he would typically experience his first night terror. Hopefully, it will disturb his sleep pattern just enough that it will break the cycle, and we will finally get some sleep tonight. Otherwise, we will be making a trip in to our pediatrician tomorrow to see what the next steps will be...
Monday, January 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I hope the technique works and all of you get a good night sleep! I remember a mother telling me something simular about her son after surgery. It lasted a couple of weeks. Makes me a bit scared now nowing that our son will need surgery next month under full anesthesia. I know what to prepair for afterwards...
I'm so sorry you guys are going through this hurdle!! Praying that you all start to sleep peacefully again quickly!!
Oh Kelly....so sorry for the rough nights and limited sleep.Hoping that your technique works tonight. Smart to contact your pediatrician for some additional support.
Savannah had those when she was around 4 or 5, but only usually once a night and if I could fully wake her up, she didn't have it again. It was when she seemed fully awake but wasn't that she would seem to fall back to sleep and have another one. I don't know if that helps or not. I would actually take her out of bed and make sure she was awake. I'm so sorry you are going through this!
This is so heart-wrenching. What parent wouldn't feel for you!
Please think of looking into cranialsacral therapy. You can google it with the word "Baby" to read how much it can help releave many stressful physical & emotional issues. I've just read this page - may it give you hope!
http://www.signifier.co.uk/CCST/articles3.htm
Post a Comment