So sorry I have not been posting much this week. See...this has been one of the worst weeks ever. Seriously. And what made it especially stinky was the fact that I thought it was going to be a really great one. This week was supposed to be the beginning of our new "normal" life. Hayes was going to begin gradually going to a local day school on Monday, and I was going to be resuming my teaching position after taking nearly a year long hiatus on Thursday. (In case you have forgotten, I teach a super cool early childhood program that combines little ones with special needs and their typically developing peers. They are my other twenty babies!) But..........in true Davis fashion, our whole week was thrown for a total and complete loop.
Monday night I started to feel kind of yucky and not quite like myself. And little did I know...it was the start of something very, very bad. I will try to spare you all of the yucky details, but let's just say I came down with one of the most brutal and long-lasting viruses I have ever encountered. This devil of a virus not only completely knocked me down the first half of the week, but also kept me from accumulating a stockpile of hugs and smooches from my sweet baby boy. (Something I was desperately craving before we were both due to begin school.) Once Thursday morning came along, I was feeling a tiny bit better and knew that I had to pull it together enough to make my big return to school though.
My mom (who, by the way, is the most amazing woman in the world...and by far the best mom a girl could ever ask for!) had been in town all week visiting and was going to stay at our house with Hayes for the morning before dropping him off at school and heading home. Well, I called her during my planning to check in, and she said that my little guy was not doing too good - super runny nose, very lethargic, fussy, and even pulling at his ear a bit. Definitely not himself. She said that he was in no condition to go to school and that he should probably be going to the pediatrician instead. Oh, how my heart broke hearing that. Not only was I devastated that my sweet and silly boy was so sick...I was also crushed that I could not be there to make it all better. But I wiped away my tears and called the doctor's office to make an appointment for him. Thankfully, our pediatrician told my mom that it was just a bad case of allergies topped off with some fluid in his right ear. She prescribed him some good old pink Amoxicillin, and I hurried home from school to smother him in kisses hoping all would be well by the next morning. Wrong.
Friday morning, I woke up and started my morning routine. Brush teeth. Shower. Get dressed. Screaming baby...oh no. As soon as Cody and I walked into Hayes's nursery we could feel the warmth, and the thermometer confirmed that his low grade fever from the day before had spiked up over 102. My poor baby was not easily comforted, and he refused to be put down for even a second. He had gotten even sicker. Since Cody had a big day ahead of him at work and my mom had left the evening before to head back home, it was decided that I had no other choice than to call in for a substitute on my second day back at work. I felt awful for my students, coworkers, and administrators, but I am learning that as a parent you have to always put your own child first. And everyone understands that. So, Hayes and I brought the worst week ever to an end with lots of snuggles, snot rags, and medicine. I guess we will have to try again next week...
Sorry...no pictures from this week. And I am sure nobody wants to see what a hot mess we were anyways!
*Side Note - I have to give a great, big, enormous, giant thanks to my mom. She was my savior this week. I have no idea what our little family would have done without her help, her care, and most importantly - her love. Thank you for everything, Mom...we love you!
Saturday, March 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
The virus has spread to Europe as well apparently. Both kids came down with it and when we thought it was all over, I got a call on my first workday that the eldest had been sick and wanted to be picked up.
Hope you don't get a second round as well and that Hayes will get well soon! Give him a big hug from Holland!
Post a Comment