Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sad, Sad Day

A very sad, sad day is looming upon us.  I am going to be dragged kicking and screaming back to work in just four short days.  And no, I am not saying that because I despise my job.  In fact, the opposite is true...I love teaching, especially teaching a classroom full of sweet little bitty kiddos.  The problem is that I love my little bitty kiddo even more.  Like out-of-control-over-the-moon-truly-madly-deeply LOVE him.  And leaving him for such a big chunk of the day and missing out on so much literally tears me up inside.  I have had moments these past few days that I think that I just simply cannot go.  I cannot do it.  But then I remember what is best for my family.  And that there are so many other families out there that I need to help too.  So, I push those thoughts out of my head and try to look forward to the upcoming school year.  Because I know that once I get back in my classroom and surround myself with over a dozen of those smiling little faces (okay, they may be screaming bloody murder the first few days...but eventually they will be smiling), everything will be okay.  And I will be okay.  The transition to get to that point will just be really, really hard.

Speaking of the big transition, there is one major bonus we have going on in regards to it.  You see, Hayes is switching schools and will begin going to a big boy preschool this fall...and this big boy school does not open until after Labor Day.  This leaves us with two full weeks where I will be at school and Hayes will not.  So, what does a family do?  Well, we call in the troops of course!  My amazing cousin just so happened to have a break between her summer internship and the start to her fall semester as a senior in college, so she will be coming in to babysit for that first week.  Then, the fantastic Shorty and RC will be driving in to spoil him rotten for the second week.  This actually works out pretty great because it gives me some time to get situated into my new routine before we have to throw Hayes's new school experience into the mix too!  But until then I am soaking up every last second with my precious boy and cherishing each and every moment that we are spending together.  Just me and my little buddy!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Just be thankful that you have had time this summer with him. I worked an ordinary job where I did not have summers off. I NEVER had extended time at home with my kids. We went on vacation every summer, which was loads of fun, but it was away from home and a busy time. Not just the quiet down time at home that I longed for. But....we all survived! My kids are now 19 and 21 and grew up into fine young people. I still have the same job, believe it or not, and life goes on. So enjoy what you have and make the best of it!

Linda - Wichita, KS